Before you go:
- Take everything out of your wallet or purse that you don’t need. That way you won’t have to worry about accidentally losing something, plus it gives you less to carry.
- Photocopy or write down important information such as:
- driver’s license or ID number
- passport number
- UICCU member number
- Cash & Check Card and VISA Credit Card numbers and expiration dates
- Contact information for reporting lost or stolen cards
Take a copy with you and give a copy to somebody you trust and can contact if necessary. Be sure to keep your copy in a safe place other than your wallet or purse.
- Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN) for any cards you carry. Your brain is a much safer storage spot than your wallet or purse!
- Consider purchasing a prepaid travel card so you don’t have to worry about using your ATM card or credit card while you’re out of town.
- Notify UICCU of your travel dates and destination. In order to protect you, our system detects and responds to transactions that are outside your normal spending patterns. If we know where you’re headed and when, your legitimate transactions will go through just fine.
- Set up e-Statements and Bill Payment through iBranch online banking so you don’t miss any payments.
While you’re travelling:
- Always carry your currency and plastics on your body. Never place them in a purse or back pack that is carried behind you because that makes you a target for pickpockets.
- Carry emergency contact numbers with you (here are ours).
- Never let anyone assist you with your luggage. It’s safer in your hands.
- If you leave valuables in your hotel room, be sure to secure them in a safe if one is provided.
If you plan on leaving the country, it’s a good idea to order foreign currency ahead of time. This ensures you have immediate cash on arrival without having to worry about limited electronic access, ATMs, or merchant acceptance of your U.S. cash or cards. You can purchase foreign currency online through the Travelex Online Self-Service Currency Exchange. We recommend placing your order at least 2 weeks prior to your trip.
When you make purchases or ATM withdrawals in a foreign country, you will be charged the U.S. dollar equivalent of the transaction based on the foreign merchant’s financial institution or the ATM network you used. Keep in mind that Visa USA charges a Foreign Transaction Fee of 1% of the transaction amount for any card transaction made in a foreign country.
Lost or stolen cards:
Sometimes it happens: despite all your precautions, your debit/check card or credit card gets stolen. Don’t panic! It’s not the end of the world. Contact us right away to let us know what’s going on and we’ll help you get everything sorted out.